Sunday, July 08, 2007

Breakfast Club

Numbers were once again down this week but only marginally. It's easy to be discouraged but I know that God is teaching us through this situation. Firstly it's always good to remember that kids don't come because of an amazing program and I am focusing my prayers on asking that God draw kids to come. We'll be more than happy to give God the glory when more kids come.

I also think that God is giving us and the other teachers the chance to grow and develop our teaching style and ability while the numbers are smaller. There are many little things that need developed. Pray for grace as we speak with teachers and that we will grow as a team.

In about 4 weeks the Holiday Bible Club (VBS) starts. We're excited that we have this period beforehand to understand the teaching program and hopefully the Club will be an excellent follow-up program for that.

The other big praise point is that kids are being reached through the club. Just yesterday one of the leaders told me about an 11 year old girl from her neighbourhood who has been at the club every week so far. She told me that the little girl is left all day to look after her 6 brothers and sisters. Mum and Dad are hardly involved. The leader wanted me to talk with her. I admit I was unsure what I would say. In my experience those kids would probably have heavy social work involvement in their situation and would quite probably be placed in care. With full reliance upon God I sat down to chat with her. I believe God gave me the words to say and that I made a good connection with her. This little girl knows nothing about the bible. She had only been in church 4 times - at the four clubs. I invited her to come to church today and told her that she could be in our Sunday School class. I also told her that we had lots of songs on Sunday as the songs are her favourite part of club. How encouraging it was to see her there today at church. She came with one of her sisters and stayed for the whole service - from 10am until 13.00 and seemed to have a great time.

There were another couple of kids at church today who were at club for the first time yesterday. So God knows what He is doing and we are happily doing our best and trusting Him to continue the good work. Thanks for your continued prayers.

No comments: