Thursday, May 10, 2007

Testimony

My name is Hector (not his real name). I am 21 years old and I want to tell you my story.

After one year of treatment in an institution which didn't help me, I arrived back on the streets. I intended to do drugs because since I was very little I have suffered the scorn of society because they saw me stretching out my hand or asking for a taco to eat from a local food stand. This made me think and I felt like my life was worth nothing.

I found myself in a terrible state and although I was aware of how I was nothing interested me. Often I thought about suicide and never to wake up again.

I wanted to find help in other groups but what I found was more evil. I tried rehab centres but they didn't help me either nor changed me. That's why I returned to the streets again. One day one of my fellow street kids invited me to go to the drop-in centre where I met Alex and Paty and where they offered me the opportunity to help and to hear about God.

After a short time my friend and I decided on a change of life and we talked with Alex and Paty to see if they could help us. Now we rent a room, we continue attending the church each Sunday. In spite of all the obstacles we continue to lift ourselves up with God's help and now I am so grateful to Him because He took me out of a big dark hole.

He reached out His hand to me and for that I give him thanks for rescuing me from where I found myself trapped.

No comments: