Sunday, October 14, 2007

Motivation for Service

I was challenged this week on this topic through my daily readings. All of us Christians serve God in some capacity but why? Why do we get involved in our churches? Why do we serve our families? Why do we reach out to others? Why do we keep at it 'til we're exhausted at times?

The challenge comes from John 21:17 where Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me?" And the writer of the devotional said this:

"Jesus reached into Peter's heart and put His finger on Peter's motivation for service. Peter's motivation to live for Jesus and to serve Jesus was not to be an attempt to stave off guilt, or to earn forgiveness, or to avoid criticism or to prove something to someone, or to gain approval or recognition. Peter's sole motivation in service was to be his love for Jesus, pure and simple."

And for me that is what will cause me to be able to keep going despite the tiredness, despite the discouragements and the failures. May my love for Him grow more and more!

No comments: