Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Living in the light of the Resurrection

What a busy weekend! Apart from the normal setting up for a Church service in a building that doesn't belong to you (but you are grateful to use) and celebrating as a church together, we had a church lunch after the service to have time to hang out together for longer. Due to the rehearsals for the Resurrection 2017 concert in Edinburgh, it was a dash off to that for 2pm. Here was my view for the rest of the day.

A collection of musicians and singers from all across Edinburgh and outside Edinburgh too, from many local churches, getting ready for a huge praise event in the Usher Hall in Edinburgh at 7.30pm. With a few breaks we were singing from 2 until about 10pm about our amazing Lord Jesus.
"Christ is risen!"
"He is risen indeed!"

Now that Easter is over, we as Christians live in the light of the Resurrection. Jesus' resurrection is so important. At church that morning we were reading from Luke 24 where Jesus asked His followers to examine His hands to see that He was real. Then He ate some fish. Luke wants us to be sure that we know that this was no ghost. Why? Because Jesus had risen not just as 'spirit' but bodily, proves that God has reversed the curse of death that came from sin. Because Jesus has risen, we know that we will rise again too. This world, with its threat of nuclear war in North Korea, with the uncertainty of elections now in the UK, is not our hope or disappointment. Our hope is to rise again and be delivered from death and sin and sickness. Our hope is to be with the Saviour who loves us.

 So, although I didn't get to spend time with my family on Easter Sunday, I got to spend time with an amazing band, with a committed choir, a terrific orchestra, and other singers who are simply outstanding soloists. Singing for hours about the Saviour who loves us.

This week, I get to live in the light of the knowledge that I serve a Saviour who has won the battle against sin and it's effects on me. I am part of His family. I am forgiven. I am cleansed. I am free. Worth singing about, for hours.

No comments: