Sunday, June 28, 2009

A visitor

The rainy season is upon us here in Mexico. As it settles we can have rain at any point in the day or night. It lasts for about an hour and apart form that it is still lovely and warm. Soon it will be pretty normal for the rain to come late afternoon every day.

Early on Thursday morning we had very heavy rain. Around 3am I was conscious of a pitter patter. As I became more aware I realised that it wasn't Tabitha coming in for a cuddle. It sounded more like the rain...but it sounded like it was inside. Then it felt like it was on the bed. I flicked my hand over the top of the bedspread. The pitter patter continued and Andrew woke up as I lifted the whole duvet and gave it a shake. When he asked what was wrong I said, "I think there's something running over our bed." I turned on the light and this is what was looking at us...



It's a Jerusalem cricket called a 'cara de niño' here. Though no-one we know has ever been bitten by one everyone has instilled a healthy fear of these nasty little creatures who apparently give a very painful bite.

Needless to say we were both out of the bed pretty quickly and the cara de niño had lost a dimension on the floor. How grateful am I to not be nursing a bite and that the visitor came to our room and not to Oscar or Tabitha's! We continue to praise God for health and safety even in the small and interesting episodes!

No comments: