Sunday, April 13, 2008

Reacting in a different way

Something that really stood out to me last year and I have never forgotten was a lesson from my daily devotionals. It talked about how it is easy to appear in control and be a model person when all is going well but it is when things in the home are going against you that you have the opportunity to show the world the power of a Spirit controlled life. I'm not talking about big things but I had one of those moments last week.

On Monday Andrew and I both woke up feeling unwell. Kindly Andrew let me go back to bed with Oscar and he looked after Tabitha. I woke up feeling much better and improved as the day went on. Andrew on the other hand got worse. His temperature rose and he spent the rest of the day in bed. It was a long day and a relief when Tabitha's bed time finally arrived. I went back downstairs to work with our 'refluxer' who typically gets more uncomfortable in the evenings. As I rocked him and tried to find a comfortable position for him he managed to release a big burp accompanied by a fair amount of his previous feed which unceremoniously landed on our carpet. As he continued to cry Tabitha, struggling with the time change the night before, appeared apparently uninterested in sleeping. The microwave beeped to indicate that the soother was sterile and as I pulled the steriliser out and placed it on top I knocked a little tray onto the floor, smashing everything breakable on it. I think it was one of those moments...

A missionary lady here gave me a piece of advice before Tabitha was born. "Just remember," she said, "'This too will pass!'" I often remember that. The immediate storm passed quite quickly. Oscar found a happier place and Tabitha settled down to sleep. Andrew was out of action for a few days but by Thursday was beginning to feel much better. It's no grandiose missionary story, rather a reminder that we are ordinary people living out our faith just as we would want to do and taking each day as it comes! We appreciate your prayers as we do 'normal' things in this different country.

No comments: